Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Feisty Femininity" - Jordan Malcolm


This self portrait that I drew using pencils and charcoal was inspired by the Feminist Art Movement. I tried to use symbolism a little with the boxing gloves and ballet shoes to depict women's struggle with balancing femininity while also maintaining a strong and independent demeanor.
I say it's symbolism, but it's also pretty straight forward.. since I've been in ballet since I was 12 and I've been boxing for 2 years now. I also made myself pretty dirty and bruised up, which is also straight forward since I'm usually always covered in paint or clay from ceramics and generally get pretty bruised up in boxing. But I also wanted to make myself look a little unkempt to go against the idea that woman shouldn't look disheveled at any time. I feel like it's more socially acceptable for men to have a dirty hobby or profession then it is for women, even though people might not realize that they think this way.
For example.. after my guy friends get done in the ceramics shop downstairs, they are covered in clay and people ask them what their hobby is and what they've been working on. On the other hand, when I leave the shop covered in clay I get the ever popular "..What happened to you?" and many pitying glances from people debating on whether or not to give me a few bucks and hope I don't spend it on booze.
In essence, I feel like it's still considered a little unbecoming for women to be covered in anything besides glitter and perfume and so wanted to address that in this drawing since this is, more or less, a feminist stand point (and since I appear disheveled 80% of the time, even when I dress nice).
The paintbrush is clenched between my teeth because I enjoy painting and because it looks a little fierce.. and I feel like I'm pretty feisty.
It also looks a lot better on paper than it does on the computer but, eh, c'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment