Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On Culture: Shane Smith


Native American culture is one of my favorite cultures. It's something that I've always found interesting and powerful. Now that I am dating a half-blood Cherokee, I've had a new perspective on it; deeper insight and overall more respect overall. In a sense, culture is art. What gives a culture its essence is its rituals, clothing, language, food, music, and well, its art. I consider that art. In Native American culture, what stands out the most is their natural art. They have distinct patterns in their clothing and pottery, their face paint and even their bead work.


A piece of Native American art that appeals to me is an oil painting by Kirby Sattler named "Walking Storm". This is a portrait of a Native American man, and the title of the piece is his actual name. It portrays him in his head dress, his face painted in vibrant red and white war paint, buffalo skin over his shoulders, a choker around his neck, and clothing made of a hide of an animal. This epitomizes some of my favorite aspects of their culture; naturalness, yet intense badassness. Native men are usually very intense and display their dominance as a representation of their tribe; showing their colors and patterns. It is all very interesting to me, and I respect it immensely.


"Walking Storm" by Kirby Sattler http://kirbysattler.sattlerartprint.com/id22.html

No comments:

Post a Comment