Tuesday, October 4, 2011

On Beauty: Kahlief Steele


I believe that all pieces of art can be digested and mulled over to the point of beauty being found in it. As a result of that, I personally find a lot of different kinds of art both intriguing and beautiful. However, the group of art that sticks out to me the most in terms of aesthetics is art from the Impressionist era. The difference between the short, choppy and the lengthy, dreamy brushstrokes along with the mostly diluted color scheme make for a surreal experience when observing any sort of piece.
One piece in particular is The Road to Chailly painted by Claude Monet. The subject matter is a quiet forest scene, with the season of autumn in full force. Jagged brushstrokes of yellow ochre and a pale forest green highlight fallen leaves on the ground, and the beige, billowy sky gives the impression of a cool fall evening. The beauty of the piece definitely comes out in the colors, where contrast is used sparingly and where it is used, details spring out to the viewer with a melancholic sense of strength. I have a soft spot for landscapes, and that’s definitely one of the qualities that sticks out to me as an individual. The piece itself hearkens back to my own memories of walking through forests like these, simply soaking in all of the information through all five of my senses. The idea of recreating such a discreet scene with the tinted color scheme definitely whispers “this is beautiful” to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment